What are the chances of type 1 diabetes, if we have a child?

Updated on April 8, 2016 in Type 1 Diabetes
6 on April 6, 2016

Dear all,

I am new to this forum.

I and my husband have type-1 diabetes since last 16 years. We married three years ago. Now we want to have a child. But in one of the articles from American diabetes association, They have mentioned chances of type one diabetes in the child. My anti-thyroid antibody test is positive. If we have a child, it will have 50% chances of type-1 diabetes as per the article. It is a very high probability.

Any of you does know about similar kind of study done by others? I want to cross-check before taking any decisions

I have heard from somebody that this study has been focused on North American people and the probability will differ for south Asian people. (We are from India). Does anybody know about probability in case of South Asian or Indian?

Do you know any parents who are diabetic and having diabetic or non-diabetic child?

We really want know the probability of type 1 diabetes of our child if we have.

Thanks for reading and we will be very much grateful who can provide any helpful information.

Please ignore typo and grammar.

Thanks and regards,

Janice

• Liked by
  • chanangad
0 on April 6, 2016

The genetic basis of Type 1 diabetes is very complex. It depends not only on the genotype of your insulin genes, but also on the genotype of your immune system genes and on unknown “environmental factors” like certain viral diseases. In other words, there is no simple equation to determine the risk of your offspring developing Type 1 diabetes. 

If you and your spouse are very concerned about this possibility, you would be well advised to meet with a genetic counselor. They can test your DNA for some of the known high-risk genes and calculate statistical probabilities for you, personally.

I think that a better question for you to ask yourselves is: “Given that I have Type 1 diabetes, do I wish that I had never been born?” Or: “Since I clearly have the Type 1 genes, do I wish that my parents had aborted me?” I know this is harsh but then apply that answer to your family planning decisions.

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on April 6, 2016

For people who are type 1 and already have children, when and how often should you test for it?

on April 6, 2016

Anchal, people can be diagnosed with diabetes of any type at any age. So I think that the most important thing would be to teach your children to know and be alert to the symptoms of diabetes, develop healthy habits (i.e., cool it on carbs and junk food, exercise regularly and keep your weight in a healthy range) and to insist that their doctors test their A1c at every annual physical. This is one case where the parents’ example — in terms of glucose testing, food choices, exercise, etc– can create life-long healthy habits in the children.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
0 on April 6, 2016

If you do decide to have a child (there’s no real predicting the risk of your kid having T1), you will recognize the symptoms. Obsessively testing will do nothing other than set up probably emotional/mental issues in the child. 

There are no guarantees in life. Would I not want the life I’ve led? I’ve so far had a terrific life, in great part due to excellent parents. I have T1 and nothing’s stopped me. You shouldn’t act as though developing T1 would cause your child to lead an unpleasant life. And having parents who know and understand T1? Even better. So decide to have a child or not. Decide whether or not you can be great parents. Those are the most important issues. T1 is not a tragedy.

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on April 6, 2016

Great piece of advice Sarah and Varsha, thank you.

on April 8, 2016

Always a pleasure to help out. I’m loving this portal.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
UA-76114458-1