Diabetes 2….

Updated on March 17, 2017 in General Questions
4 on April 6, 2016

Diabetes 2.

In September 2015 I went to the doctors as I had been losing a lot of weight and although I was watching what I was eating, I was not really exercising.  I was diagnosed with Diabetes 2 (sudden onset, no family history, not obese). This was the last thing I thought it would be but blood sugar was so high they put me on Metaformin and Insulin (long acting).  I didn’t change my diet and exercise is the same (I put on a little weight but not much).  3 months later H1AC was still high, then few weeks ago H1AC was 6.5 and doc took me off insulin and now just on metaformin (Januvia 1000mg).  Starting to lose weight again but BS still in good range between 5/6.  Is this normal?

• Liked by
0 on April 6, 2016

HI Apurva,

You do not mention how HIGH, 6.5 is from what I have learned a bit on the high side of what the medical community wants.  Used to be 5.0 but that was adjusted upwards over the last few years.

I take metformin and insulin. Insulin will make you hungry, at least it does for me.

My doctor is not interested in Januvia for some reason.

Everyone is different and what you eat has a lot to do with where you number is.

You do not mention daily testing and I would be concerned if any Dr just relied on an A1C. Those are a 3 month average and a lot can happen in 3 months.

The big D is not something I choose not to be on top of. I started with metforming 15 years ago and lasted 10 years before I had to move to insulin.  I pay attention to what I eat, and try to get exercise daily.  I suggest more communication with the doctor and see about daily testing. It is a pain, you will discover what jumps your blood sugar and you will be able to trend the numbers through time. Excel works great for me. Better than a nasty surprise in three months.

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on April 6, 2016

Excel sounds like a good idea, i will try it for my wife since I have to do recording for her.
Thanks 😀

• Liked by
Cancel
1 on March 15, 2017

I am taking onglyza with metformin for over a week now. It took a few days to overcome the “sinus headache” effect. Other than that, controlling my sugar is less stressful with this med. added to my regimen of diet and exercise. (I was diagnosed about 2 months ago).

on March 17, 2017

Did you make any prominent changes to your diet and exercise after being diagnosed?

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
UA-76114458-1