Can Sugar Be Addictive?

Updated on July 19, 2016 in Diet
10 on July 10, 2016

sugar is the new tobacco

Cynthia Jane Kenyon is a molecular biologist and biogerontologist known for her genetic dissection of aging in a widely used model organism, the roundworm Caenorhabditis elegans. Kenyon’s research prompted her to make personal dietary changes. She stopped eating high glycemic index carbohydrates when she discovered that putting sugar on the worms’ food shortened their lifespans.

Diabetics need to remain cautious about what they eat but what about the rest? Shouldn’t this be the option for all and not just diabetics? Everyone should choose to live healthy lives. Sugar can cause many problems – a low GI diet may not suit all, but it’s a better choice for most of us.

What do you think?

• Liked by
  • MuslimKapasi
  • PreetiJoshi
0 on July 11, 2016

Very rightly said. A diet that a NON-Diabetic follows should be NO different from that of a Diabetic simply because thats what is healthy for everyone regardless. While a low carb-low GI diet helps Diabetics manage health better, it will help a non-diabetic remain a non-diabetic and healthy!

• Liked by
Cancel
0 on July 11, 2016

That is true anita. My son has diabetes Type 1. After he was diagnosed we threw out all junk food and ate same food as him to not make him feel left out. Me and my husband were on the overweight side, now both of us are losing weight and feeling healthier too.

• Liked by
Cancel
4 on July 11, 2016

I stopped eating sugar, i use sugarfree sweeteners instead and my family has made the same change too. All of us avoid those extra calories. 😀

on July 11, 2016

Laxman, artificial sweeteners are VERY bad for your family!

on July 11, 2016

Hi Preeti. Why do you say that? My wife and son trying to lose weight, and these are 0 calorie and so widely used  and safe.

on July 11, 2016

I use splenda not aspartame sweetener.

on July 11, 2016

I thought too. But i read this blog post on this rhymes site about them and then read more on google to find out that they are VERY BAD! Rather I eat sugar you know. Just read this.. http://www.sugarkibimari.com/artificial-sweeteners-alter-gut-bacteria-and-cause-metabolic-dysfunction-leading-to-obesity-and-diabetes/

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on July 11, 2016

Which is better to drink if I want:
Coke zero/ diet coke/ regular coke>?

on July 12, 2016

Hi Sahil, one is worst than the other. As a diabetic Sugar is your enemy so the regular one is really bad for you as it contains HFCS which will have very bad effects on health. Read on HFCS it makes you put on lots of weight and creates insulin resistance. Diet Coke and Coke Zero both use Aspartame and asculfame K which harm your brain and body in many ways including increase your risk for strokes. I don’t drink any soda. If I want I make my own flavoured Sodas at rhymes home.

on July 19, 2016

Yeah, don’t drink either!

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
UA-76114458-1