Gluten Free | Low GI | Low Carb | Grain Free | Vegan
|Tamarind Pulp||1 Tbsp. & 1 Tsp.||<50||Low|
|Coriander Powder||1 Tsp.||<10||Negligible|
|Salt||As per taste||0||Nil|
|Urad Dal (split)||½ Tsp.||<50||Low|
|Non- Refined Oil (Groundnut, Sesame or Coconut)||1½ Tbsp.||0||Nil|
|Mustard Seeds||½ Tsp.||<10||Negligible|
|Curry Leaves||1 Cup (around 180 leaves)||<10||Negligible|
|Red Chili||4 in number||0||Nil|
|Green Chili||2 in number||0||Nil|
|Garlic||4 cloves||<20||Very Low|
|Ginger||¼ Inch piece||<10||Negligible|
|Coconut Powder||2 ½ Tbsp.||<35||Low|
Note: All ingredients used should be organic, free from pesticides and Non-GMO.
- Wash and dry the curry leaves. In a pan heat ½ tsp. oil and add the chilies, garlic and ginger. Roast for about 3 minutes and then add whole tamarind and coconut powder.
- Continue roasting until the coconut changes colour, once slightly golden add the curry leaves in the pan and sauté for a minute.
- Once the curry leaves turn slightly brown, remove from flame, let it cool down and place it in a grinder. Add water as required to make a semi paste. Once ground, set aside.
To make tamarind pulp, clean the 1 tbsp. of tamarind and mix with the water well, to extract the pulp.
- Strain the residual water.
- Now heat the rest of the oil and add mustard seeds along with urad dal and let it splutter. Now add diced onions and fry till it turns translucent.
- Once done add the curry leaves paste and sauté the mixture till the raw smell of the leaves go away completely and the oil separates.
- Add the tamarind pulp.
- Add in the coriander powder, salt as per taste and boil the mixture till it begins to thicken. As soon as it begins thickening add more water and simmer for 6-7 minutes.
- As the color of the curry changes to a milder green and oil separates switch off the flame. (For a sweeter taste – optional, add a little bit of your favourite natural sweetener as per taste).