Servings: 1 (Yield: 2 Medium Pancakes)
|Quinoa||12 Grams Raw Weight ½ Cup (Soaked)||53||Border-Line Moderate|
|Fenugreek Leaves||¼ Cup (Chopped)||<15||Very Low|
|Spinach||1/4 Cup (Chopped)||<15||Very Low|
|Carrot||¼ Cup (Chopped)||<15||Very Low|
|Curry Leaves||1-2 (Chopped)||<10||Negligible|
|Plain Yoghurt||1 Tbsp||<15||Very Low|
|Ginger||1 Tsp (Grated)||<10||Negligible|
|Green Chilli||1 (Finely Chopped)||<10||Negligible|
Note: All ingredients used should be organic, free from pesticides and Non-GMO.
METHOD OF COOKING
- 1. Rinse the soaked quinoa.
- 2. Grind the quinoa into a coarse paste adding a little water if required.
- 3. Add the fenugreek leaves, spinach, carrot, curry leaves, ginger, green chillies and salt and mix well.
- 4. Just before serving, add the curds and fruit salt (1/4 sachet) and mix well.
- 5. Divide the batter into 4 equal portions, spread one portion of the batter on a non-stick pan and make a pancake of approx. 125 mm. (5″) diameter.
- 6. Cook on a slow flame till both sides are golden brown, drizzling a little oil if required.
- 7. Repeat with the remaining batter to make 3 more pancakes.
- 8. Add salt, turmeric and red chilli powder as per your taste.
- 9. Serve hot.
Nutritional Chart (Nutrients/Serving)
|Energy (Kcal)||Protein (Grams)||Carbohydrates (Grams)||Fats (Grams)|
Nutritional Comments: Quinoa has a glycaemic index of 53 and still I have included them in diabetic recipes? Won’t my sugar levels shoot? The answer is simple, off-course not, the glycemic load (GI*CHO/100) of the amount of quinoa used comes up to 1.5 which is in the very low GL category. Quinoa is a gluten free pseudo grain which is considered as a complete protein with all the essential amino acids making it a great addition to your diet. The quality of carbs is what you should be targeting- it should give you energy and not spike your sugar levels at the same time. The high amount of soluble and insoluble fibre in Quinoa allows slow release of glucose into the blood. Quinoa is also a good source of iron, Vitamin B and magnesium making it an ideal alternative for starchy carbs like corn and potatoes in your diet.