Gluten Free| Low GI| Low Carb | Grain Free | Vegan | Lactose Free
|Masoor Dal (Whole)||65g||<30||Very Low|
|Masoor Dal (Skinned or peeled)||65g||<30||Very Low|
|Non- Refined Oil (Groundnut, Sesame or Coconut)||½ Tbsp.||0||Nil|
|Onion||75g, finely chopped||<10||Negligible|
|Garlic||1 Tsp., minced||<20||Very Low|
|Ginger||1.5cm, fresh and grated||<10||Negligible|
|Cumin||1 Tsp., ground||<10||Negligible|
|Coriander Seeds||1 Tsp., ground||<10||Negligible|
|Mustard Seeds (Black)||1 Tsp.||<10||Negligible|
|Turmeric Powder||½ Tsp.||<10||Negligible|
|Kashmiri Chili||1 in number, chopped||0||Nil|
|Chickpeas*||3 Cups, not canned||<30||Very Low|
|Spinach Leaves||80g, baby leaves||<20||Very Low|
|Coriander Leaves||For garnish||<10||Negligible|
**Pumpkin appears to have a high Glycemic Index of 75 but has a very low Glycemic Load of 3. Although the vegetable is high in naturally occurring sugars, the rate of its conversion to glucose is considerably low because of the load. This avoids any sudden surge of glucose levels in the blood stream. Besides it’s a rich source of Vitamin A and fibre and keeps you fuller for longer.
Note: All ingredients used should be organic, free from pesticides and Non-GMO.
- Rinse the brown and red lentils (masoor dals) until water runs clear; drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan; add onion, garlic and ginger. Cook while stirring until onion softens.
- Add in the ground cumin and coriander, black mustard seeds, turmeric and finely chopped Kashmiri chili. Continue cooking while stirring till you get a pleasant aroma.
- Now add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Pour the mixture intoa deep cooking vessel and stir in the chickpeas, tomatoes, pumpkin and lentils.
- Cook on the stove for 30 minutes till boiling then simmer until soft-check if soft.
- Once soften stir in the coconut milk and cook, covered, on high flame, for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach leaves.Garnish withcoriander leaves.
- Can be accompanied with rotis made of Ragi, Bhajra or Buckwheat and some unsweetened dahi. Serve and Enjoy!
**Can use chicken stock and 500g chicken fillets for those who opt for non-vegetarian.