Gluten Free | Low Carb | Grain Free | Non-Veg | Naturally Sweetened
|Beet, mid-sized*||1 in number||<65||Moderate|
|Spinach||1 Cup||<20||Very Low|
|Spring Onions||For garnish||<20||Very Low|
|Egg||1 in number||0||Nil|
|Sesame Seeds||½ Cup||<20||Very Low|
|Extra Virgin Olive Oil||1 ½ Tbsp. Olive Oil||0||Nil|
|Garlic||¼ Tsp., minced||<10||Negligible|
|Lemon Juice||2 Tbsp.||0||Nil|
|Salt & Pepper||To taste||0||Nil|
*High in proteins, fiber, and essential nutrients, beetroot has a glycemic index of 64, which is in the medium range but has a glycemic load of 5. Although the vegetable is high in naturally occurring sugars, the rate of its conversion to glucose is considerably low because of the load. This avoids any sudden surge of glucose levels in the blood stream. It would take more than 6 to 7 cups of beets to have any major effects on the blood glucose levels. That is far more than what one would consume in a single serving.
Note: All ingredients used should be organic, free from pesticides and Non-GMO.
- Cook the beet in a medium saucepan of boiling water until tender. Drain; Remove the skin and dice into very small pieces. Set aside in a mixing bowl.
- To make the tahini (note – this makes extra quantity): Roast the sesame seeds on a pan. Keep stirring, as the seeds could burn very easily, until they begin to turn golden brown.
- Once they’re roasted, let them cool and then add them to a food processor. Add the oil to it and process the mixture into a paste, scraping down the sides. Add more olive oil until you reach the desired consistency. Remove and store in an airtight container.
- To make the dressing: Mince the garlic with salt and pepper in a mortar and pestle or using a knife to form a paste. In a bowl add two tablespoon of the tahini, above garlic paste, lemon juice, honey and mix together. If you desire a thinner consistency then thin it with water or oil. Adjust lemon, honey, salt and pepper to taste.
- Place a pan over a medium flame and add in the spinach. Cook for 5 minutes or until the spinach wilts. Add the spinach and tahini dressing to the bowl with the beet pieces, and toss to combine.
- In the same pan, fry the egg. Let the egg cook until the whites set (cook further on both sides if you want the yolks completely cooked) and then add the egg to the tahini beets and garnish with spring onions.